he 4 Vallées is a huge area encompassing a number of resorts, including Thyon, Versonnaz, Nendaz and, most famously, Verbier. Verbier is probably the most fashionable resort in Switzerland and gives give access to one of the world's truly outstanding areas for hard core off-piste.
The area most renowned is around Mont-Fort where there are some frighteningly steep runs. There are, however, good slopes available for all levels of skier and snowboarder and, although probably not best for beginners, it really does have something for everyone. There are several lift passes available, one covering the area around Verbier (but not Mt Fort), one for the area around La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres, one for Printse (including Haute-Nendaz, Veysonnaz, and Thyon/Les Collons), one for Bruson and one covering the entire region of 4 Vallées/Mont Fort. The circuit is at its most efficient around Verbier and Mont Fort - for the rest of the 4 Vallées surface lifts are unavoidable and you still find the odd antique chairlift alongside more modern equipment. Although a good skier can get around most of the slopes above Verbier in a day, it is all to easy to find yourself with a longer trip back from some of the more distant parts of the circuit than you might expect.
There are a wide range of choices for accessing the 4 Vallées. For a day trip Siviez makes a good destination (via, or as an alternative to, Nendaz). Beginners probably would find Thyon and Les Collons or Les Masses most to their liking, families might opt for Nendaz, intermediates for Veysonnaz and experts for Mont Fort. The immediate area above Verbier has good lifts and some lovely red runs.
Best of the Slopes
Much is made of the really very tough off-piste off the back of Mont-Fort and off Mont-Gele, but there are some good marked trails to try out too that can often provide good off-piste conditions when there is fresh snow. The challenging wall down to Tortin from Chassoure is a must for strong intermediates to test themselves - but sadly is also the least difficult way you can ski from Verbier to the Printse area. The Vallon d'Arby trail from Lac des Vaux to La Tzoumaz and the surrounding off-piste is exceptional. There are also some challenging pistes for intermediates too, such as the red run from Les Attelas down to Verbier or theruns down to Veysonnaz and Mayens-de-l'Ours. For gentle cruising and more inexperienced skiers the scenic runs on Savroleyres, the runs below la Chaux and the runs around Thyon 2000 are the best to try out. There are good parks at La Chaux above Verbier, and at Nendaz and Thyon.
Where to Eat and Party
The best - and most expensive - places to eat in 4 Vallees are in Verbier. One exception is the highly regarded le Mont-Rouge in Haute-Nendaz (+41 27 288 11 66). In Verbier itself the most highly regarded restaurants are La Grange (+41 27 771 64 31), Chalet d'Adrien (+41 27 771 62 00), Chez Dany (+41 27 771 73 48), Restaurant La Cordée (+41 27 775 45 00) and the W Kitchen (+41 27 472 88 88) at the W Verbier hotel. For lunch in the mountains I like La Vache (+41 277 713291), at the top of the Attelas chairlift and Cabane Mont-Fort, above La Chaux (+41 277 781384). Amongst the places to start après ski are Rocks bar at les Ruinettes, Bar 1936 below the Mayentzet chairlift, Pub Mont Fort (just above the Medran station in Verbier) and Farinet, at Place Centrale - which got voted by the Daily Telegraph as one of the ten hottest apres spots in the world.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Le Chable. The station is adjacent to gondola. Voucher only covers the Verbier area, not the full 4 Vallées for which a small additional charge is made at the lift station. Ensure the ski pass you get given with your voucher covers all areas if you want to explore the whole ski area. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 17 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 21 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 32 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 19 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Martigny.
Best access by car is Le Châble valley station which has free parking and direct access to Verbier and Les Meinures.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 278 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 251 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 50 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 157 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 162 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs .
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 98 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 15 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 127 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for 4 Vallées/Verbier
Piste Map for 4 Vallées
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Hôtel du Rhône, Sion (3*) Covenient for the centre of Sion and the station, with guest parking.
+41 27 322 82 91 https://www.durhonesion.ch
- $$ Le Deserteur Hotel, Nendaz (3*)
+41 27 288 24 55 https://www.ledeserteur.ch
- $ Sion Youth Hostel, Sion (Hostel) Convenient for station, sadly not open until late March..
+41 27 323 74 70 https://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Dzardys Bar & Backpacker, Le Chable (Hostel) At the foot of the gondola up to Verbier.
+41 27 565 25 31 http://dzardys-bar-backpacker-hostel.valaistophotels.com/en/
- $$$$$ La Cordée des Alpes, Verbier (4*) Hotel favoured by royalty.
+41 27 775 45 45 https://www.hotelcordee.com
- $$$$$ Chalet D'Adrien, Verbier (5*) Small, exclusive establishment famous for it's restaurants.
+41 27 771 62 00 https://www.chalet-adrien.com/
- $$$$$ W, Verbier (5*) Winner of the 2016 World Ski Awards Best Ski Hotel in the World.
+41 27 472 88 88 https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/gvawh-w-verbier/overview/
- $$$ Hotel Bristol, Verbier (3*)
+41 27 771 65 77 https://www.bristol-verbier.ch/