rosa is a long-established resort lying at the end of a delightful narrow gauge railway and a rather tortuous road. It is pretty in parts but very spread out with the most attractive traffic-free section at Inner-Arosa a bus ride away from the station and the main Obersee area. Arosa attracts a large non-skiing clientele and the slopes rarely have queues or crowds. Since December 2013 neighbouring Lenzerheide has been linked by a gondola with Arosa and the combined resorts create the largest linked ski area in Graubünden and one of the ten largest in Switzerland. In addition to the pistes there are an impressive 40km of marked freeride runs and it possible to ski off-piste but within the bounds of the ski area all day. As well as downhill, cross-country, tobogganing, snowshoe walks and winter walks the resort also boasts night skiing, open air skating on the lake, horse and sleigh rides, indoor swimming, full moon parties and a wide range of restaurants and bars.
There is a beautiful and very easy 8 km walk from the Unterseeplatz in Arosa, about 500 metres south of the station to the Langwies station from where you can take the train back to Arosa. The trail runs above the railway line and then along the Plessur to the old Walser village of Litzirüti. From there the route mainly passes through forest until you reach the imposing Langwieser Viaduct. Pass under the railway bridge and ascend up to Langwies station.
Best of the Slopes
Nice long blue run off Brüggerhorn down to Obersee. There is also some good off-piste on Brüggerhorn and the Weisshorn.
Where to Eat and Party
Brüggli bar in Inner-Arosa is a good place to start an evening out. Nearer Obersee is the Old India Bar in the Hotel Sorell. The excellent Botta-designed Tschuggen Bergoase spa at the Tschuggen Grand Hotel is open to non-residents. Also with a spa open to the public is the Arosa Kulm Hotel & Alpin Spa, which also has three of the best restaurants in town (+41 81 378 88 88), although the best is probably the Restaurant Kachelofa-Stübli at the Waldhotel Arosa (+41 81 378 55 55).
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Arosa. Station adjacent to gondola, also courtesy bus between base stations. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 32 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 36 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur.
- From Berne the least travel time is 3 hrs 37 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Chur.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 148 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 232 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs.
- The road distance from Berne is around 274 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 437 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 10 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Arosa
Piste Map for Arosa
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$ Valsana Hotel & Appartements, Arosa (4*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #10 amongst 4*Swiss hotels.
+41 81 378 63 63 https://www. valsana.ch
- $$$$$ Tschuggen Grand Hotel, Arosa (5*) Highly regarded by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #3 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 378 99 99 https://www.tschuggen.ch
- $$$$$ Arosa Kulm Hotel & Alpin Spa, Arosa Ranked #4 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 378 72 72 https://www.arosakulm.ch
- $$$$ Waldhotel National, Arosa (4*) Highly regarded by Tages-Anzeiger.
+41 81 378 55 55 https://www.waldhotel.ch
- $$$ Hotel Streiff, Arosa Ranked #2 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 378 71 71 https://streiff-superior-arosa.h-rez.com/
- $$$ Arosa Vetter Hotel, Arosa Ranked #5 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 378 72 72 https://arosa-vetter-hotel.ch/
- $$ Chalet Runca, Arosa (Chalet) Family run chalet near station and slopes - CHF 10090/week for 10 half-board.
+41 79 833 36 08 https://www.snowypockets.com
- $$ Hotel Astoria, Arosa Ranked #1 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 378 72 72 https://www.astoria-arosa.ch/
- $$$$ Schweizerhof, Lenzerheide (4*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #13 amongst 4*Swiss hotels.
+41 81 385 25 25 https://www. schweizerhof-lenzerheide.ch
- $$$ Revier Mountain Lodge (Swiss Lodge), Lenzerheide (3*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #19 amongst 3*Swiss hotels.
+41 81 382 06 60 https://www. meinrevier.com
- $$$ Hotel Spescha, Lenzerheide (3*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #21 amongst 3*Swiss hotels.
+41 81 385 14 24 https://www. hotel-spescha.ch
- $$$ Bestzeit, Parpan (3*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #15 amongst 3*Swiss hotels.
+41 81 354 00 54 https://www. bestzeit.ch
- $ The Lodge, Churwalden (Hostel)
+41 81 356 22 67 https://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$$ Guarda Val, Lenzerheide (4*) Highly regarded by Tages-Anzeiger.
+41 81 385 85 85 https://www.guardaval.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Schweizerhof, Lenzerheide (4*) Family hotel, ranked #2 in Lenzerheide by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Hotel Valbella Inn, Lenzerheide (4*) Spa hotel.
- $$$ Hotel Kurhaus, Lenzerheide Ranked #1 in Lenzerheide by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 384 11 34 https://www.kurhaus-lenzerheide.ch
- $ Valbella Youth Hostel, Valbella (Hostel) Needs a car or a 25 minute hike from the bus stop..
+41 81 384 12 08 https://www.youthhostel.ch/en/