eukerbad (Loèche les Bains in French) has a wide range of winter sports activities, beautiful south-facing pistes, stunning scenery, and the bonus of the wonderful spas in the village. The Torrentbahn up to the main ski area can get busy at weekends - the answer is to start early. The slopes aren't extensive and the lower ones suffer from being south-facing in the afternoon, but this is a wonderful resort for a weekend break for all standards of skier and snowboarders and also for parties which include people who prefer more relaxed winter sports activities. For beginners there's Park Erli nursery slopes in the village itself and, although there is not a lot of challenging slopes, the run back to the village is tough and exhilarating, and you can walk up above the top lifts to make fresh tracks. There are some 30 different thermal spas in the village, many associated with hotels. The Lindner Alpentherme is the spa for the more sophisticated winter tourists, but this is a good resort for families too - the extensive public Burgerbad baths cater for all ages.
Best of the Slopes
You can walk up a bit further to extend this 10k run, but the breath-taking and varied descent to the village off the top of Sattel-Torrenthorn is outstanding.
Where to Eat and Party
The best mountain restaurant is the Briand (+41 27 470 19 08) at Flaschen Torrentalp. In the middle of Leukerbad is the Pizzeria Choucas (+41 27 470 24 13), which has a fabulous special section for families with kids and does passably good grub. Remember to book! The Hotel Waldhaus also has an excellent restaurant (+41 27 470 32 32). There's not a big après ski scene here, the Chinchilla Rest-O-Bar probably being the closest you'll come to it.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Leukerbad, Torrentbahn. Bus stop adjacent to cable car (alternatively Leukerbad bus terminal is 15 minutes walk from cable car).
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 5 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Bern / Visp / Leuk.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 16 mins with as few as 4 changes going via Bern / Visp / Leuk.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 46 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Leuk.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 312 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 25 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 285 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 191 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 196 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 132 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Leukerbad
Piste Map for Leukerbad
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
- $$$$$ Hôtel Les Sources des Alpes, Leukerbad (5*) Spa hotel.
- $$$$ Lindner Hotels & Alpentherme, Leukerbad (4*) Spa hotel.
- $$ Hotel Viktoria, Leukerbad Convenient for public thermal baths and general amenities.
+41 27 470 16 12 https://www.viktoria-leukerbad.ch
- $ Le Chamois Garni, Leukerbad (Budget) Rustic family run B&B in good location.