n some respects Glacier 3000 is a dysfunctional resort - halfway between Gstaad and Les Diablerets, it is claimed to be part of both their local ski systems; it reckons itself to be in Vaud but much of the ski area is in the Bernese Oberland and Valais; it promotes itself for it's glacier skiing, but the more adventurous skiing is not on the glacier. In essence it is two areas, the north-facing area below the glacier with terrain down to Reusch, Col du Pillon and even Gstaad if the snow is good, and a glaciated plateau with dizzying views over Valais and beyond.
A large part of the top of Glacier 3000 is quite flat, which lends itself to some long schusses and to a scenic dog sled ride (group bookings only) - contact René Minartz for details.
Best of the Slopes
The run down to Reusch from the summit is 14k of thigh-burning endeavour. There are some adrenalin-pumping off-piste runs down to the valley station also, but a guide is recommended since there are some places you can really get it wrong and one run, off the back of the Botta 3000 restaurant, that requires a lot of bottle as well as flawless technique. The best place to find off-piste on the Glacier is around Quille du Diable but it is best to get there early after new snow, as it gets tracked out quickly.
Where to Eat and Party
Bernie Ecclestone has a large stake in Glacier3000, so it is no surprise that Formula One features in the fabulous and architecturally outstanding Botta 3000 restaurant (named after the architect, Mario Botta). The restaurant at the Quille du Diable is very pleasant and has equally impressive views from a craggy cliff top with the Rhône valley below, and Verbier beyond. Even more spectacular are the views from a 107m long suspension bridge and walkway, built in 2014 and sponsored by Tissot, that connects the viewing platform at the restaurant to the Scex Rouge peak.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Les Diablerets. The station is 15 minutes from one gondola base station, across the tracks from the station, and connecting with Villars. Another gondola base station is left out of the station in the middle of the village, and this links with Isenau and, via the pistes, with Glacier 3000. Alternatively it is possible to get to the Glacier 3000 base station from Gstaad by bus and also to use the Snow'n'Rail Gstaad Mountain Rides pass to access the slopes there. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 38 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 173.60 SFr, reduced to 112.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 47 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 159.20 SFr, reduced to 104.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 39 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 107.20 SFr, reduced to 78.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 23 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 92.80 SFr, or 71.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 158.40 SFr, or 104.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Zweisimmen. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 45.60 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 203 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 222 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 103 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 41 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 134 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 67 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 1 min.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 96 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 16 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Available at MySwitzerland page for Glacier 3000