itting on a sunny plateau surrounded by mountain peaks, car-free family-friendly Melchsee-Frutt is a pleasant day trip with its well-priced passes and varied pistes. There is something for all standards, but it is effectively three resorts in one. There are some (mostly challenging) runs off Bonistock down as far as Stockalp, a series of largely intermediate runs off Balmeregghorn and Erzegg (connected by a lift and a ropeway to Melchsee-Frutt), and a decent beginners and children's area near the village centre (sadly served by a T-bar). For tobogganists there is an 8k run down to Stöckalp, which also constitutes the blue run back down and can get busy at time. A few years back there was detailed plan to connect Melchsee-Frutt to nearby Meiringen-Hasliberg with a tramway and provide lifts between Melchsee-Frutt and Engelberg via Jochpass to create "Snow Paradise Titlis Hasliberg" with 210km of piste, but the plan faced significant opposition on environmental grounds and was shelved.
Best of the Slopes
The run from Bonistock to Stöckalp is 7km in length and drops over 1000m, it is black most of the way down, but is wide, largely lies below the tree line and is very scenic with its views over the Melchtal.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Stöckalp. The bus stop is adjacent to the cable car. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 12 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 12 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 16 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen.
Park at valley station at Stockalp to get to car-free Melchsee-Frutt.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 92 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 20 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 137 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 127 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 297 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Melchsee-Frutt
Piste Map for Melchsee-Frutt
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
- $$ Alpenhotel Glogguis, Melchsee-Frutt (3*) Dorms and ensuite private facilities available.
+41 41 669 77 77 https://www.glogghuis.ch
- $$ Berghotel Bonistock, Melchsee-Frutt Dorms and ensuite private facilities available.
+41 41 669 12 30 https://www.bonistock.ch