isentis, home to an ancient Benedictine monastery, is a largely Romansh-speaking community who call the town Mustér. The resort has a great range slopes with some impressive verticals, highly-regarded off-piste and a reasonable beginners area. It is a good resort for mixed ability parties as the pistes do offer reasonably good progression from novice to advanced intermediate, and the trails and off-piste provide plenty of scope for expert skiers and snowboarders. To access the higher runs beneath Péz Ault and the Dadens area you do need to use surface lifts, but on the whole you can navigate the resort using the cable car and modern chairlifts. The expansion of Andermatt now links the runs at Andermatt to Sedrun and, since the 2019/20 season, to Disentis too.
Disentis lies at the western terminus of Graubünden's narrow gauge Rhaetian Railway and the eastern terminus of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn railway, the latter linking it with the ski areas at Andermatt and Sedrun and the resorts of the Valais. The scenic Rhaetian Railway journey from Chur takes you through the Rhine gorge, past Ilanz (for buses to Laax and Obersaxen), Tavanasa (for Breil/Brigels) and along the Upper Rhine, almost to its source, 20km away above Sedrun at Lake Toma.
Best of the Slopes
The beautiful 12k run from Péz Ault down to S.Catrina has a vertical descent of 1600m, taking in red, blue and black sections and, optionally, an unprepared area. Despite the fairly steep sections on some of the red runs in the resort, the black valley run is pretty straightforward.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Disentis. The Postbus provides a free connection to the ski area (direction Acletta), or you can turn left out of the station and walk uphill for about ten minutes to get to the valley station. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 34 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 38 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 178 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 25 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 262 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 15 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 303 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 466 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 20 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Disentis