izol means high peak in Romansh and the resort certainly has a huge vertical drop when the snow lies in the Rhine valley, has a great range on intermediate cruising and has some fabulous off-piste and ski touring above the tree line. Day trippers can make Bad Ragaz, below the ski area, by train in 75 minutes from Zurich and there is a ski bus connecting you to the base station. The town is a well-established holiday destination with a wealth of diversions for longer stays.
There are two ways to access Pizol, either from the Bad Ragaz side where the base station is a little outside the town, or from Wangs (a short bus ride from Sargans). The resort is efectively two separate ski areas with a couple of flattish T-bars connecting them up. On the Bad Ragaz side the middle station is Pardiel and has a good range of amenities. Personally I prefer the slopes on this side to the slopes above Wang, but it is only on the Wang side you can ski all the way down to the valley station.
Where to Eat and Party
The Grand Resort Bad Ragaz (+41 81 303 30 30) has two of the best restaurants in the canton of St Gallen, Memories and Igniv. The Rössli (+41 81 302 32 32) is a good restaurant too.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Bad Ragaz or Wangs. Courtesy bus from Bad Ragaz or scheduled bus from Sargans for Wangs. Bus stops adjacent to gondola base stations at both. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 1 hr 18 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Sargans.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 20 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Sargans.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 23 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Sargans.
Park at Wang or Bad Ragaz valley stations - PIZAG valley station at Bad Ragaz is 3 km from the town.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 120 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 205 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 246 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 409 km and the journey time is roughly 4 hrs 45 mins.
Nearby destinations in the region include Flumserberg.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Pizol
Piste Map for Pizol
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$ Grand Hotel, Bad Ragaz (5*) Spa hotel.
+41 81 303 30 30 https://www.resortragaz.ch/en/
- $$ Esos Hotel Quelle, Bad Ragaz (3*) Friendly family run hotel also has b&b apartments and is conveninently situated halfway between the spa and the bus stop for Pizol.
+41 81 302 60 81 https://www.esoshotelquelle.com