eysin is one of the closes resorts to Geneva Airport, with a rail connection from the airport which only requires one change, at Aigle. Although Leysin is a bit of a sprawl, it has a reasonable amount going on and some good slopes, particularly for boarders and intermediates. From the recolving restaurant at La Berneuse you have wonderful views over Lake Geneva and the Chablais Alps.The resort connects via a ski bus to the modest Les Mosses and La Lecherette terrain and from Aigle there are direct connections to Villars and Les Diablerets (both covered by the Alpes Vaudois ski pass). The free ski bus is a little unreliable by Swiss standards, but is recommended for transit from the railway stations in Leysin to the gondola station. In 2030 an extension to the cog railway will connect the railway to the lifts.
Leysin achieved fame in the earky 19th century for the longevity of its resdients, and became one of the world's leading destinations for patients with respiratory diseases, particluarly once the narrow gauge cog railway to the town was built in 1900. It was relatively late in becoming a winter sports centre, but the widespread use of penicillin closed all the sanitaria by the mid 1950s, coinciding with the first ski lifts being built.
Best of the Slopes
There is a varied run from Chaux de Mont which can be taken all the way down to Leysin, although the best snow in the resort is often on the section under tour d'Ai. The second half of the chairlift to Chaux de Mont serves a steep bowl, but intermediates can dismount the lift halfway up.
Where to Eat and Party
The Yeti Bar and le Lynx are lively spots in the village, and Club 94 carries on after everything else is closed. They do excellent fondue and raclette at La Fromagerie (+41 24 494 22 05).
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Leysin-Feyday. The station is 15 minutes from the chairlift (or take the courtesy bus). Courtesy bus also runs from Solepraz to Les Parchets for les Mosses.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 19 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 48 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 19 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 3 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Aigle.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 242 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 215 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 121 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 25 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 126 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 62 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 89 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 7 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Leysin