ust South of Sierre, the villages of Chandolin, St-Luc, Grimentz, Vercorin and Zinal comprise Val D'Anniviers, a partly connected ski area regarded by many as some of the most outstanding slopes in the entire Alps. Grimentz is the prettiest of the villages, Vercorin has the most facilities, St Luc and Chandolin share the highest slopes and Zinal probably gives access to the best off-piste and, since 2020, has a fast gondola replacing and extending the vertical of the old cable car with a middle station at Sorebois and a top station at Espace Weisshorn.. From December 2013 Grimentz and Zinal have been connected by a lift and a scenic but tough run down from Zinal. With a long, tortuous road journey to access the slopes and overshadowed by more famous resorts in Valais, this valley is really worth visiting.
Best of the Slopes
Loads of great off-piste, both marked and unmarked, and an 8k run off Corne de Sorebois. The Piste du Chamois is a fabulous long trail down to Grimentz, and now there is a lift back!
Where to Eat and Party
Not a great party town or epicurean centre, le Besso is the best place to eat in the village, and le Pub is as good as any place to go for a drink.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Zinal TZS. Bus stop adjacent to cable car. Buses from Vissoie also serve St Luc/Chandolin and Grimentz lifts, and from Sierre serve Vercorin
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 47 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 37 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 2 hrs 21 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Sierre / Vissoie.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 317 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 290 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 196 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 15 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 201 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 138 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 166 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 0 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Zinal
Piste Map for Zinal
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Hotel Cristal, Grimentz (3*) Family rooms available.
+41 27 475 32 91 https://www.cristalhotel.ch
- $$$ Mountain Heaven Chalets, Grimentz (Chalet) Catered and self-catering available.
+44 15 162 51 92 https://www.mountainheaven.co.uk
- $$$$ Grand Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc (4*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board and highly regarded.
- $$$ Hotel Weisshorn, St-Luc Ski-in, ski-out belle époque hotel with access to wonderful off-piste, snoeshoeing and winter walks - it is on the Chemin des Planètes (no road access or groomed pistes).
+41 27 475 11 06 https://www.weisshorn.ch
- $$$ Hotel Terminus, Sierre (4*) Famous for the restaurant Didier de Courten with it's two Michelin stars, the hotel is conveniently situated next door to the station.
+41 27 455 13 51 https://www.hotel-terminus.ch/
- $$$ Colline de Daval, Sierre Ranked #1 in Sierre by TripAdvisor.
+41 27 458 45 15 https://www.collinededaval.ch/
- $ A la Pointe de Zinal, Zinal
+41 27 475 11 64 https://www.lapointedezinal.ch