omansh-speaking Scuol lies in the remote Lower Engadine, alongside the Inn river and below the majestic peaks of the Silvretta and the Dolomites. It has been a well-heeled spa town since the 19th Century but expanded as a holiday destination with the arrival of the railway in 1913, and established itself as a winter sports centre with the opening of the first ski lift in 1956. With it's range of beautiful, south-facing slopes, modern queue-free lifts and ample off-piste it is one of my favourite medium-sized resorts. Scuol Tarasp station lies at the end of the Eastern section of the Rhaetian Railway, next to the gondola bottom station and also conveniently next to the Youth Hostel. The centre of Scuol and the main Bogn Engiadina spa are about 10 minutes walk away or two stops on the bus. The beginners area is at the top of the gondola stop at Motta Naluns, although the Ski School offices are at the bottom station.
Best of the Slopes
There is a wonderful 14k descent from Bergstation Salaniva to Sent, although it requires you to take a courtesy bus back to Scuol to get you back up the mountain. The run off Schlivera to Ftan is very pleasant, and the lovely red run from Motta Naluns to Scuol has some excellent off-piste variations.
Where to Eat and Party
There's a couple of bars at the bottom of the gondola, but après ski is fairly muted in Scuol. A good place to eat, particularly for steaks, is Trais Portas (+41 81 860 38 20). Two of the best restaruants in the area are Schlosshotel Chastè (+41 81 861 30 60) in Tarasp and the Guarda Val (+41 81 861 09 09) in Scuol.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Scuol-Tarasp. Station adjacent to cable car. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 39 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Landquart.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Landquart.
- From Berne the least travel time is 3 hrs 44 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Landquart.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 177 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 262 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 303 km and the journey time is roughly 4 hrs 1 min.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 466 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 45 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Scuol
Piste Map for Scuol
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
- $$$$ Belvédère, Scuol (4*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #6 amongst 4* Swiss hotels.
+41 81 861 06 06 https://www. belvedere-scuol.ch
- $$$ Familienhotel Muntanella, Ardez (3*) Family hotel.
- $$ Schorta's Hotel Alvetern, Ardez Ranked #1 in Ardez by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 864 14 21 https://www.alvetern.ch/
- $$$$$ Haus Paradies Hotel, Ftan Ranked #1 in Ftan by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 864 14 21 https://www.paradieshotel.ch/
- $$$ Guardaval, Scuol (4*) Highly regarded by Tages-Anzeiger.
+41 81 861 09 09 https://www.guardaval-scuol.ch
- $$$ Hotel Engiadina, Scuol Ranked #1 in Scuol by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 864 14 21 https://www.hotel-engiadina.ch
- $ Scuol Youth Hostel, Scuol (Hostel) Excellent hostel convenient for lifts and station.
+41 81 862 31 31 https://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Backpacker Hotel Swissroof, Sent (Hostel)
+41 81 864 17 22 https://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$ Schlosshotel Chaste, Tarasp Ranked #1 in Tarasp by TripAdvisor.
+41 81 861 30 60 https://www.schlosshotelchaste.com