sprawling, busy resort that covers the villages of Crans, Montana, Aminona and Les Barzettes, it was the winter home of former Bond actor, Roger Moore, until his death in 2017. And one can see why he chose to live here. There are few queues, good mountain restaurants and lovely cruisy runs set against beautiful views South across the Rhône Valley. Despite its altitude, the resort needs good snow conditions because so many runs are south-facing, so probably best for January through to February half-term when higher, north-facing resorts can be grim. By road it's pretty easy to get to, although the road can get congested. By public transport you can either take a bus from Sierre station or walk a couple of hundred yards to a very scenic funicular railway, then take a bus in either direction to one of the base stations.
The glacier at the rather grisly-sounding Plaine Morte is often open for cross-country and a short downhill run in November. The longer Kandahar run off the glacier had an avalanche sweep across the piste in 2019, killing a ski patroller.
Best of the Slopes
There is a 12k descent from Plaine Morte to Barzettes.
Where to Eat and Party
Although there are bars and clubs in the resort, Crans-Montana is a very good destination for the bon vivant. There are some lovely scenic mountain restaurants, particularly for a sunny lunchtime repast, such as Merbeé, Cabane de la Tieche and Cabane des Violettes. My personal choice would be Chetzeron (+41 27 485 08 08), near the bottom of the Chetzeron t-bar. In the evening, the Restaurant L'Ours (+41 27 485 93 33) in the Hostellerie du Pas-de-lOurs or the Restaurant Le Mont Blanc (+41 27 486 60 60) in LeCrans Hotel and Spa are regarded as two of the best restaurants along the entire Rhône valley.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Montana Gare / CMA. Sierre station is 5 minutes to mountain railway (follow a direction marker on the pavement), then take courtesy bus or walk 10 minutes to CMA base station. Although the bus passes both Crans and Montana base stations, it isn't obvious so ask the driver to advise you if you are not sure. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass. Click here for details of the Swiss Railways discount scheme.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 21 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 7 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 50 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 37 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Sierre.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 300 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 273 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs.
- The road distance from Berne is around 179 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 55 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 184 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 119 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
Nearby resorts include Anzère.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Crans-Montana
Piste Map for Crans-Montana
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$$ Guarda Golf , Crans-Montana (5*) Ranked by Tages-Anzeiger #17 amongst 5*Swiss hotels.
+41 27 488 20 00 https://www. guardagolf.com
- $$$$ Hotel Guarda Golf, Crans Ranked #3 in Crans-Montana by TripAdvisor.
+41 27 486 20 00 https://www.hotelguardagolf.com
- $$$$$ Le Crans Hotel & Spa, Crans-Montana (5*) Highly regarded by Tages-Anzeiger.
+41 27 486 60 60 https://www.lecrans.com
- $$ Hostel Bella Lui, Crans-Montana (Hostel) Rated historic by the Swiss Tourist Board.
+41 27 481 31 14 https://www.youthhostel.ch/de/hostels/crans-montana
- $$$ Helvetia Intergolf - Hotel & Apparthotel, Crans-Montana Ranked #2 in Crans-Montana by TripAdvisor.
+41 27 485 88 88 https://www.helvetia-intergolf.ch/