he pretty village of Vals is characterized by the dark, local quartzite used for roofing houses and to build the iconic thermal spa in the village. Vals is a Walser-German-speaking enclave in the Romansh dominated Val Lumnezia (Valley of Light). The Walsers migrated from Upper Valais some 700 years ago and settled in the highest alpine valleys of Switzerland, and still retain a distinct identity from their neighbours. The slopes are uncrowded, have a good snow record and offer a good range of terrain for all abilities of skier and snowboarder. The thermal baths are definitely worth checking out and allow children from the age of 5.
Best of the Slopes
The Dachberg run is 10k long and drops 1700m.
Where to Eat and Party
The 7132 Hotel (+41 58 7132 000) has several good restaurants, two of which - 7132 Silver and 7132 Red - are exceptional.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Vals Post. Bus stop 20 minutes from lifts. A courtesy bus service is available every half hour at peak times, every hour off-peak.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 34 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Chur / Ilanz.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 38 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Chur / Ilanz.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 168 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 7 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 253 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 58 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 446 km and the journey time is roughly 4 hrs 52 mins.
Latest Resort Report
MySwitzerland report for Vals