eputedly Johannes Badrutt wagered some English summer guests the cost of their stay at the Hotel Kulm in St Moritz if they did not enjoy wintering there as much. He won his bet and with that the winter sports industry was born. Badrutt and his son, Casper, were responsible for a series of innovations, including coining the term Palace to describe a grand hotel and creating the world's first bobsleigh course. Thanks to their industry, and two Olympic Games, St Moritz is now the most famous winter sports resort in the world. Whilst it is undoubtedly and justifiably renowned for the jet set clientele it attracts - there is an airport at nearby Samedan - this is both a tribute to its appeal and is also misleading, in that the Engadin valley is not just for the affluent few. Along the wide valley floor of the Upper Engadin there is plenty of affordable accommodation to be found (including an excellent youth hostel), some fabulous skiing and snowboarding and probably a greater variety of world-class winter sports activities than anywhere else in the world. Every winter sports enthusiast really should visit this corner of Switzerland at some time in their life!
Long favoured by the rich and famous, amongst the celebrities who have shown a preference for St Moritz are Prince Harry and King Carl Gustav of Sweden. Charlie Chaplin was reputedly the first man to drive to St Moritz in the winter, and Alfred Hitchcock kept a suite at the Palace Hotel for many years.Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
For the experienced, there is both the World Cup run off Corviglia to St Moritz Dorf and the amazingly scenic 9km Hahnensee descent from Corvatsch down to St Moritz-Bad, although the pistes on these mountains are mostly for intermediate level skiers and boarders. The most challenging runs are probably those around Piz Nair and there is a fair amount of lift-served off-piste. A bus ride away, Diovalezza has a leg-burning, adrenalin-pumping, long descent on the famous 10km off-piste glacier trail to Morteratsch, whilst the Lagalb also has a couple of good runs for experienced skiers and boarders.
Where to Eat and Party
The Corviglia top station has a bunch of restaurants, including the world renowned, rather expensive and quaintly named La Marmite (+41 81 833 6355). The restaurant at the top of Piz Nair is also good, but El Paradiso is my favourite (+41 81 833 4002). A lot of the nightlife and dining centres around the plush hotels like Hotel Laudinelli, Hotel Schweizerhof and Badrutt's Palace. The Post Haus is a good place to fritter away some large denomination bank notes.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is St Moritz. St Moritz station is 15 minutes walk uphill from the mountain railway for Corviglia, but it is more convenient to take bus #1 or #9 to St Moritz Bad Signalbahn from the station. Alternatively alight from train one stop earlier in Celerina, with a five minutes walk to the Marguns gondola base station. For Corvatsch, take bus #1 from St Moritz station to Surlej Corvatschbahn. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 26 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 201.80 SFr, reduced to 137.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 4 hrs 25 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 233.80 SFr, reduced to 153.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 4 hrs 26 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 253.00 SFr, reduced to 163.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 214.60 SFr, or 144.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to St Moritz Bad, Post. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 66.60 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 203 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 295 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 327 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 44 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 480 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 16 mins.
The nearest major airport to St Moritz is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated October 17 2017 07:45Weather 8 degrees
Season 26.11.2016 - 02.04.2017
Day ticket CHF: 79.-/26.30
Depth of snow 0 cm 0 cm in resort
Last snowfall 02.05.2017
Pistes 0/163 km 0 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 0/4 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 0 km closed
Cross-country skating 0 km closed
Altitude of cross-country trails 2200 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/0
Snow park 0/1
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -
Piste Map for St Moritz
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Romantik Hotel Chesa Salis, Bever Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$ Misani, Celerina (3*) Ranked #5 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818398989 http://www.hotelmisani.ch
- $$$ Hotel Chesa Rosatsch, Celerina Ranked #1 in Celerina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818370101 http://www.hotelrosatch.ch
- $$$ Hotel Zur Alten Brauerei, Celerina Family hotel.
+41 818321874 http://www.alte-brauerei.ch/
- $$$$ Hotel Chesa Surlej, Surlej Very near the Corvatschbahn cable car and adjacent to the nursery slopes.
+41 818387575 http://www.chesa-surlej.ch
- $$$ Krone, La Punt (3*) Ranked #3 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818541269 http://www.krone-la-punt.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Saratz, Pontresina Ranked #2 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Grand Hotel Kronenhof, Pontresina (5*) Ranked #7 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #1 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818303030 http://www.kronenhof.com
- $$$$ Walther, Pontresina (4*) Ranked #15 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels and #5 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818393636 http://www.hotelwalther.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Walther, Pontresina Ranked #5 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Hotel Mueller, Pontresina Ranked #6 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Sporthotel, Pontresina (3*) Ranked #7 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818389400 http://www.sporthotel.ch
- $$$ Hotel Rosatsch, Pontresina Ranked #3 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Allegra, Pontresina Ranked #4 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Albris, Pontresina Ranked #7 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $ Pontresina Youth Hostel, Pontresina (Hostel) Right next door to the train station.
+41 818427223 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $$$ Musik- und Kulturhotel Palazzo Mÿsanus, Samedan Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$$ Hotel Waldhaus, Sils (5*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board, and ranked #1 in Sils-Maria by TripAdvisor.
+41 818385100 http://www.waldhaus-sils.ch
- $$$ Nira Alpina, Surlej Ski-in, ski-out luxury adjacent to the Corvatschbahn cable car and the nursery slopes.
+41 818386969 http://niraalpina.com
- $$$$$ Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains , St Moritz (5*) Ranked #13 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels, and ranked #2 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818383838 http://www.kempinski-stmoritz.com
- $$$$$ Badrutt's Palace, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #1 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #1 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818371000 http://www.badruttspalace.com
- $$$$$ Kulm, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #4 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #3 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818368000 http://www.kulmhotel-stmoritz.ch
- $$$$$ The Carlton, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #5 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels.
+41 818367000 http://www.carlton-stmoritz.ch
- $$$$$ Suvretta House, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #9 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels.
+41 818363636 http://www.suvrettahouse.ch
- $$$$ Hotel La Margna, St Moritz (4*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$$ Crystal Hotel, St Moritz Ranked #5 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818366000 http://www.crystalhotel.ch/
- $$$ Waldhaus am See, St Moritz (3*) Ranked #1 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818366000 http://www.waldhaus-am-see.ch
- $$$ Hotel Hauser, St Moritz Ranked #4 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
- $$ Hotel Bären, St Moritz Convenient for Bobsleigh and Cresta runs.
+41 818366000 http://www.hotelbaeren.com/
- $ St Moritz Bad Youth Hostel, St Moritz (Hostel) On #9 bus route convenient for St Moritz station and Corviglia. .
+41 818366111 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Randolins Backpackers, St Moritz (Hostel)
+41 818308383 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$ Hotel Engiadina, Zuoz Ranked #2 in Zuoz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818515454 http://www.hotelengiadina.ch
- $$$ Castell, Zuoz (4*) Ranked #4 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels and ranked #1 in Zuoz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818515253 http://www.hotelcastell.ch
St Moritz is located in Graubünden