Just South of Sierre, the villages of Chandolin, St-Luc, Grimentz, Vercorin and Zinal comprise Val D'Anniviers, a largely unconnected ski area regarded by many as some of the most outstanding slopes in the entire Alps. Grimentz is the prettiest of the villages, Vercorin has the most facilities, St Luc and Chandolin share what is the largest connected pistes in the valley and Zinal probably gives access to the best off-piste. From December 2013 Grimentz and Zinal are connected by a lift and a scenic but tough run down from Zinal. With a long, tortuous road journey to access the slopes and overshadowed by more famous resorts in Valais, this valley really is an almost undiscovered gem of wonderful, uncrowded slopes.
Best of the Slopes
10k run off Lona Bergstation back into Grimentz is a lovely run, with a steep section at the end if you found the early bits too easy. Lots of good off-piste, plus with the new lift there is access to Zinal and the tough, scenic trail back into Grimentz.
Where to Eat and Party
Chez Florio at the bottom of the slopes is always busy at the end of the day, and Le County Pub and the Domino are good places to head off to for evening drinks. Disco Shaddock is open into the small hours. Meleze is a fun place to eat with a hot stone cook-it-yourself menu option but there are a good half a dozen reasonable restaurants to choose from in the village.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Grimentz, télécabine. Bus stop is adjacent to gondola. Buses from Vissoie also serve Zinal and St Luc/Chandolin, and from Sierre serve Vercorin The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 216.00 SFr, reduced to 130.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 203.20 SFr, reduced to 124.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 53 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 161.60 SFr, reduced to 103.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 2 hrs 15 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Sierre / Vissoie. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 124.80 SFr, or 84.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 203.20 SFr, or 124.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Sierre/onward bus to resort. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 40.00 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 313 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 286 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 192 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 9 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 197 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 130 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hour 32 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 159 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hour 47 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Zinal - Grimentz - Val d'Anniviers
Weather 12 degrees
Lifts open 21/21
Day ticket CHF: 56.-/34.-
Snow: 150 cm 70 cm in resort. Last Snow: 04.03.2014
Runs Open: 70/72 km 20 km with artificial snowmaking
Conditions: good 5/5 Runs down to resort open
Cross-Country. Classic: 5 km good. Skating: 5 km good. 1700 m (altitude)
Halfpipes Open: 0/0 . Snowcross Open: 0/0 . Snowparks Open: 1/1
Toboggan Runs Open: 1/1 19.0km / 19.0km. Toboggan Conditions: good-fair
Winter Walks: 8/8 km . Snow Shoe Walks: 12/12 km
Grimentz at MySwitzerland
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort and Surrounding Area
- Hotel Cristal, Grimentz (3*) Family rooms available.
$$$ Tel: +41 274753291 http://www.cristalhotel.ch
- Mountain Heaven Chalets, Grimentz (Chalet) Catered and self-catering available.
$$$ Tel: +44 1516251921 http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk
- Hotel Weisshorn, St-Luc Ski-in, ski-out belle époque hotel with access to wonderful off-piste, snoeshoeing and winter walks - it is on the Chemin des Planètes (no road access or groomed pistes).
$$$ Tel: +41 274751106 http://www.weisshorn.ch
- Grand Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc (4*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board and highly regarded. $$$$
- Colline de Daval, Sierre Ranked #1 in Sierre by TripAdvisor.
$$$ Tel: +41 274584515
- Hotel Terminus, Sierre (4*) Famous for the restaurant Didier de Courten with it's two Michelin stars, the hotel is conveniently situated next door to the station.
$$$ Tel: +41 274551351 http://www.hotel-terminus.ch/
- A la Pointe de Zinal, Zinal
$ Tel: +41 274751164 http://www.lapointedezinal.ch
See Where to Stay for more details on accommodation options.