he most significant winter sports resort in Italian-speaking Ticino has an enjoyable and invariably uncrowded ski area at Airolo-Pesciüm. The slopes face north above the point where the south side of the Gotthard rail and road tunnels emerge, opposite the dramatic Gotthard road pass in the high Ticino valley at the head of the district known as the Leventina. The village has a rail station with direct connections to both Basel and Zürich - the only resort in Switzerland for which this is true - making it a convenient ski resort to get to from Northern Switzerland. Unfortunately the slopes are a few hundred metres from the station and the courtesy bus service seems to have eschewed Swiss efficiency in favour of a more chaotic Italian approach. As a result it is usually easier to take the 15 minute walk to the valley station than suffer the frustrations of waiting for the bus only to find it is too crowded to take you, or you could have walked in the time it takes to arrive.
Even closer to the station is the small ski area Airolo-Lüina, with about 3km of piste between 1200 and 1350m. This is where Lara Gut learned to ski and, although the season is short on this south-facing slope, it's a good place for learners.Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
From the cable car top station at Pesciüm, there is a choice of using the gentle runs and inappropriately named Yukipark served by surface lifts below Comascnè, or the more challenging runs above Ravina, which are mainly served by a second cable car and a modern chairlift. Although the runs above Ravina are rated black and red, there is not much to choose between them in terms of difficulty and a competent intermediate should feel confident attempting any of these runs. If the valley runs below Ravina are open, it is possible to ski a scenic run of almost a 1000m drop off either Sasso della Boggia or Varozzei. There is some reasonable off-piste areas off to the right of the Comascnè T-bar or left off the top of Varozzei chairlift. Yukipark has a reasonable variety of boxes, rails and jumps and there's a few more jumps alongside the Pesciüm button lift.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Airolo. Station is 15 minutes walk from the cable car, or take the courtesy bus. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 1 hr 44 mins with as few as zero changes. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 103.20 SFr, reduced to 69.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 57 mins with as few as zero changes. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 141.60 SFr, reduced to 88.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 58 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Zurich. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 144.80 SFr, reduced to 90.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lugano the least travel time is 1 hr 27 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Bellinzona. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 73.80 SFr, or 55.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 93.60 SFr, or 64.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Airolo. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 28.00 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 123 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 29 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 183 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs.
- The road distance from Berne is around 197 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 349 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 44 mins.
- The road distance from Lugano is around 85 km and the journey time is roughly 59 mins.
The nearest major airport to Airolo is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated June 22 2017 07:45Weather 19 degrees
Season 17.12.2016 - 02.04.2017
Day ticket CHF: 45.-/30.-
Depth of snow n/a
Last snowfall 23.03.2017
Condition of runs n/a
Cross-country classic -
Cross-country skating -
Altitude of cross-country trails -
Snowcross runs n/a
Snow park n/a
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -
Piste Map for Airolo
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
- $$$ Hotel Forni, Airolo (3*) Rated #1 in Airolo by TripAdvisor, convenient for motorway and station.
+41 918691270 http://www.forni.ch/
Airolo is located in Ticino