rosa is a long-established resort lying at the end of one of the most spectacular rail lines in Europe. It is pretty in parts but very spread out with the most attractive traffic-free section at Inner-Arosa a bus ride away from the station and the main Obersee area. Arosa attracts a large non-skiing clientele and the slopes rarely have queues or crowds. From December 2013 neighbouring Lenzerheide is linked by gondola with Arosa and the combined resorts create the largest linked ski area in Graubünden and one of the ten largest in Switzerland. In addition to the pistes there are an impressive 40km of marked freeride runs and it possible to ski off-piste but within the bounds of the ski area all day. As well as downhill, cross-country, tobogganing, snowshoe walks and winter walks the resort also boasts night skiing, open air skating on the lake, horse and sleigh rides, indoor swimming, full moon parties and a wide range of restaurants and bars.
There is a beautiful and very easy 8 km walk from the Unterseeplatz in Arosa, about 500 metres south of the station to the Langwies station from where you can take the train back to Arosa. The trail runs above the railway line and then along the Plessur to the old Walser village of Litzirüti. From there the route mainly passes through forest until you reach the imposing Langwieser Viaduct. Pass under the railway bridge and ascend up to Langwies station.
Best of the Slopes
Nice long blue run off Brüggerhorn down to Obersee. There is also some good off-piste on Brüggerhorn and the Weisshorn.
Where to Eat and Party
Brüggli bar in Inner-Arosa is a good place to start an evening out. Nearer Obersee is the Old India Bar in the Hotel Sorell.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Arosa. Station adjacent to gondola, also courtesy bus between base stations. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 32 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 133.20 SFr, reduced to 100.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 36 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 176.40 SFr, reduced to 122.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 3 hrs 37 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 194.40 SFr, reduced to 129.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 143.20 SFr, or 104.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Arosa. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 53.00 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 148 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 232 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs.
- The road distance from Berne is around 274 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 437 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 10 mins.
The nearest major airport to Arosa is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated December 16 2017 07:45Weather -12 degrees
Lifts open 30/43
Day ticket CHF: 75.-/25.-
Depth of snow 90 cm 60 cm in resort
Last snowfall yesterday
Pistes 117/225 km 63 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 15/19 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 27 km good
Cross-country skating 11 km good
Altitude of cross-country trails 1936 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/1
Snow park 1/2
Tobogganing facilities 3/3 4.7km / 4.7km
Condition of runs good
Winter walking paths open 53/140 km
Snowshoe trails open 0/0 km
Piste Map for Arosa
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$$ Tschuggen Grand Hotel, Arosa (5*) Ranked #2 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #3 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 813789999 http://www.tschuggen.ch
- $$$$$ Arosa Kulm Hotel & Alpin Spa, Arosa Ranked #4 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 813787272 http://www.arosakulm.ch
- $$$$ Waldhotel National, Arosa (4*) Ranked #5 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels.
+41 813785555 http://www.waldhotel.ch
- $$$ Hotel Streiff, Arosa Ranked #2 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 813787171 http://www.streiff.ch/
- $$$ Arosa Vetter Hotel, Arosa Ranked #5 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 813787272 http://arosa-vetter-hotel.ch/
- $$ Hotel Astoria, Arosa Ranked #1 in Arosa by TripAdvisor.
+41 813787272 http://www.astoria-arosa.ch/
- $$ Chalet Runca, Arosa (Chalet) Family run chalet near station and slopes - CHF 10090/week for 10 half-board.
+ 41 798333608 http://www.snowypockets.com
- $ The Lodge, Churwalden (Hostel)
+41 813562267 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$$ Guarda Val, Lenzerheide (4*) Ranked #2 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels.
+41 813858585 http://www.guardaval.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Schweizerhof, Lenzerheide (4*) Family hotel, ranked #2 in Lenzerheide by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Hotel Valbella Inn, Lenzerheide (4*) Spa hotel.
- $$$ Hotel Kurhaus, Lenzerheide Ranked #1 in Lenzerheide by TripAdvisor.
+41 813841134 http://www.kurhaus-lenzerheide.ch
- $ Valbella Youth Hostel, Valbella (Hostel) Needs a car or a 25 minute hike from the bus stop..
+41 813841208 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
Arosa is located in Graubünden