ne of the great Alpine resorts, Saas-Fee is high, the slopes are north-facing and there is a glacier so there is skiing almost all year-round and a long peak season. Ecologically it is rated the best resort in the Alps, it is car-free, has a lively night life and is very scenic. The runs are good, not as good or anything like as extensive as nearby Zermatt, but lots of excellent piste for intermediates and very few flats. Nearby Saas-Grund and Saas-Almagell are often uncrowded and have some off-piste that isn't tracked out when that at Saas-Fee is.
George Michael stayed at the Ferienart in Saas-Fee to film the cheesy video for "Last Christmas".Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
The 9k, 1700m descent from Mittlelallalin takes you into the village or you can cut across and ski all the way into Saas-Almagell.
Where to Eat and Party
The Allalin has the highest revolving restaurant in the world, although the food and service are unexceptional. Mühle is a good place to grab a drink at the end of a hard day on the slopes and Popcorn, near the bus station, is a popular shop cum bar cum nightclub for later on. Don Ciccio Ristorante-Pizzeria is recommended for good value Italian food and wine (+41 0279574020).
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Saas-Fee, Busterminal. Bus terminal 10 minutes from gondola. Buses to other ski areas. Ensure the ski pass covers all areas. Saas-Grund is a few stops before Saas-Fee and gives access to a good downhill area - it is also closer to the bus stop. You may need to reserve your return bus time when you arrive. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 57 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Visp. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 235.40 SFr, reduced to 150.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 10 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Visp. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 229.00 SFr, reduced to 147.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 51 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Visp. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 179.40 SFr, reduced to 122.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne an adult one day combined ticket is 165.00 SFr, or 115.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 222.60 SFr, or 143.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Saas-Fee, Busterminal. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 64.80 SFr.
Saas-Free is a car-free resort, but there is parking when you arrive at the village.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 212 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 35 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 219 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 127 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 229 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 50 mins.
The nearest major airport to Saas-Fee is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some scheduled international flights to Sion, the major city in Valais.
Other resorts in the ski area include Saas-Grund
Latest Resort Report
Report dated October 17 2017 07:45Weather 9 degrees
Season 16.07.2016 - 22.04.2017
Day ticket CHF: 72.-/36.-
Depth of snow 40 cm 0 cm in resort
Last snowfall 08.10.2017
Pistes 18/100 km 0 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs no info
Cross-country classic 0 km closed
Cross-country skating 0 km closed
Altitude of cross-country trails 1900 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/1
Snow park 1/1
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -
Piste Map for Saas-Fee
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Wellnesshotel Pirmin Zurbriggen, Saas-Almagell (4*) Ranked #1 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels.
+41 279572301 http://www.zurbriggen.ch
- $$$$$ Ferienart Resort & Spa, Saas-Fee (5*) Ranked #15 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels.
+41 279581900 http://www.rferrienart.ch
- $$$ Hohnegg Alpine Resort, Saas-Fee (3*) Ranked #9 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 279581070 http://www.hohnegg.ch
- $$$ Hotel Bristol, Saas-Fee Ranked #3 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
+41 279581212 http://www.hotel-bristol-saas-fee.ch/
- $$$ Schweizerhof Saas-Fee, Saas-Fee Ranked #10 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
+41 279586060 http://www.schweizerhof-saasfee.ch/
- $$$ Best Western Metropol Grand Hotel, Saas-Fee Ranked #7 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
+41 279586060 http://metropol-saas-fee.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Allalin, Saas-Fee Ranked #11 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Christiania, Saas-Fee Ranked #4 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel du Glacier, Saas-Fee Ranked #5 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Artemis, Saas-Fee Ranked #6 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $$ Hotel Elite Saas-Fee, Saas-Fee Ranked #1 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
+41 279586060 http://www.elite-saas-fee.ch/
- $$ Hotel Mattmarkblick, Saas-Fee Ranked #2 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $$ Alphubel Hotel, Saas-Fee (3*) Ranked #9 in Saas-Fee by TripAdvisor.
- $ wellnessHostel4000: Saas-Fee Youth Hostel, Saas-Fee (Hostel) New for 2014, right next to the Postauto bus stop and attached to wellness centre.
+41 279585050 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
Saas-Fee is located in Valais