itting on a sunny plateau surrounded by mountain peaks, car-free family-friendly Melchsee-Frutt is a pleasant day trip with its well-priced passes and varied pistes. There is something for all standards, but it is effectively three resorts in one. There are some (mostly challenging) runs off Bonistock down as far as Stockalp, a series of largely intermediate runs off Balmeregghorn and Erzegg (connected by a lift and a ropeway to Melchsee-Frutt), and a decent beginners and children's area near the village centre (sadly served by a T-bar). For tobogganists there is an 8k run down to Stöckalp, which also constitutes the blue run back down and can get busy at time. A few years back there was detailed plan to connect Melchsee-Frutt to nearby Meiringen-Hasliberg with a tramway and provide lifts between Melchsee-Frutt and Engelberg via Jochpass to create "Snow Paradise Titlis Hasliberg" with 210km of piste, but the plan faced significant opposition on environmental grounds and was shelved.
Best of the Slopes
The run from Bonistock to Stöckalp is 7km in length and drops over 1000m, it is black most of the way down, but is wide, largely lies below the tree line and is very scenic with its views over the Melchtal.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Stöckalp. The bus stop is adjacent to the cable car. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 12 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 105.40 SFr, reduced to 72.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 12 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 119.80 SFr, reduced to 80.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 16 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Luzern / Hergiswil / Sarnen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 129.40 SFr, reduced to 84.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 65.40 SFr, or 52.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Stöckalp. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 37.60 SFr.
Park at valley station at Stockalp to get to car-free Melchsee-Frutt.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 92 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 20 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 137 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 127 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 297 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
The nearest major airport to Melchsee-Frutt is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated December 16 2017 07:45Weather -6 degrees
Lifts open 12/14
Day ticket CHF: 50.-/19.-
Depth of snow 190 cm 150 cm in resort
Last snowfall today
Pistes 29/36 km 10 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 2/2 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 13 km good
Cross-country skating 13 km good
Altitude of cross-country trails 1974 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/1
Snow park 1/1
Tobogganing facilities 2/2 7.9km / 8.0km
Condition of runs good
Winter walking paths open 11/11 km
Snowshoe trails open 35/35 km
Piste Map for Melchsee-Frutt
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
- $$ Alpenhotel Glogguis, Melchsee-Frutt (3*) Dorms and ensuite private facilities available.
+41 416697777 http://www.glogghuis.ch
- $$ Berghotel Bonistock, Melchsee-Frutt Dorms and ensuite private facilities available.
+41 416691230 http://www.bonistock.ch
Melchsee-Frutt is located in Obwalden