ruly one of the world's greatest and oldest winter sports destinations. The legendary mountain railways make this area one of the most accessible to get to, and the range of skiing, snowboarding and winter walking options is huge. Underneath the North face of the Eiger, Grindelwald is the busiest and most substantial of the Jungfrau resorts. It has a wide range of accommodation, including a couple of good backpacker hostels, and plenty of activities for those who do not ski or snowboard. The 15km Big Pintenfritz from the Faulhorn is the longest toboggan run in Europe, named after the innkeeper who inaugurated the run as a bet. For those who prefer the pistes, Grindelwald provides excellent access to the same slopes as Wengen, plus it has the very good, and usually uncrowded, pistes at First where the best parks in the Jungfrau are located, including an 850m park at Bärgelegg, another at Oberjoch and a half-pipe usually set up at Schreckfeld.
Every January for six days at the ice rink in the centre of the village, Grindelwald hosts the spectacular World Snow Festival in which artists carve exotic and imaginative sculptures out of snow.
Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
From Kleine Scheidegg the Lauberhorn chairlift takes you to the start point of the eponymous race, and you can pretty much follow the race circuit down to Wengen. From there you can either take the train back or take a short walk across the village to take the Männlichen cable car. The Männlichen run to Grindelwald Grund is suitable for intermediates and covers 12km.
Where to Eat and Party
The TiPi tent at Kleine Scheidegg tends to be quite lively when the resort is busy. People also stop off at the Holzerbar towards Grund. The main apres bars in town are the Avocado bar and the Espresso bar. Gepsi bar is recommended for a drink before or after dinner. Challi bar is like a cross between a bar and a club and tends to be better from 9pm onwards. Several eateries do meal deals for around ten francs per person: on Sunday it is burger day at the Eiger and the cafe lounge there and Pizza night in the Espresso bar, on Mondays it is Burrito night at the Memory bar in Hotel Eiger, Tuesday is Toastie night in Gepsi bar and Thursday is the excellent Salad day in the Eiger and the cafe lounge.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Grindelwald. Get lift pass at Grindelwald, then take mountain railway to Kleine Scheidegg or take bus to First (stop adjacent to gondola). The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 37 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Interlaken Ost. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 174.60 SFr, reduced to 112.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 38 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Interlaken Ost. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 160.20 SFr, reduced to 105.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 35 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Interlaken Ost. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 109.00 SFr, reduced to 79.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne an adult one day combined ticket is 152.20 SFr, or 101.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 115.40 SFr, or 83.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Lauterbrunnen. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 40.00 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 135 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 166 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 74 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 10 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 244 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 50 mins.
Get road directions at Google Maps
The nearest major airport to Grindelwald is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some international flights to Berne Airport, with a frequent bus service to the main railway station.
Other resorts in the ski area include Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated November 24 2017 07:45Weather 4 degrees
Depth of snow 68 cm 20 cm in resort
Day ticket CHF: 64.-/32.-
Depth of snow 68 cm 20 cm in resort
Last snowfall 13.11.2017
Pistes 0/155 km 107 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 0/8 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 0 km closed
Cross-country skating 0 km closed
Altitude of cross-country trails 0 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/1
Snow park 0/3
Tobogganing facilities 0/9 0.0km / 35.0km
Condition of runs no info
Winter walking paths open 0/110 km
Snowshoe trails open 8/19 km
Piste Map for Grindelwald
Larger piste map for Grindelwald
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
31.12.2017 - Silvester in Grindelwald
15.1.2018 - 20.1.2018 - World Snow Festival
3.2.2018 - 4.2.2018 - Audi Snowboard Open Series at Grindelwald-First
4.2.2018 - Velogemel World Championship, Grindelwald
24.2.2018 - Los Perros Volantes Snowboard & Freeski Jam Slopestyle
3.3.2018 - 21. Horischlittenrennen / Hornschlittenrennen
3.3.2018 - Down to One
10.3.2018 - King of the First hill
16.3.2018 - 18.3.2018 - Int. SAS Pentathlon on First and in the sports centre
7.4.2018 - 21.Snowpenair2018 - Kleine Scheidegg
14.4.2018 - "I'm a treasure get me out of here!" - The treasure hunt in the snow
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$ Romantik-Hotel Schweizerhof, Grindelwald (4*) Ranked #6 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels.
+41 338545858 http://www.hotel-schweizerhof.com
- $$$$ Apartments & Hotel Kirchbühl, Grindelwald (4*) Family hotel.
+41 338544080 http://www.kirchbuehl.ch/
- $$$ Parkhotel Schönegg, Grindelwald (3*) Ranked #11 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 338541818 http://www.parkhotelschoenegg.ch
- $$$ Bodmi, Grindelwald (3*) Ranked #10 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 338531220 http://www.bodmi.ch
- $$$ Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel, Grindelwald Ranked #1 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338531220 http://www.belvedere-grindelwald.ch/
- $$$ Wellness Hotel Caprice, Grindelwald Ranked #3 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338531220 http://www.hotel-caprice.ch/en/index.html
- $$$ Hotel Gletschergarten, Grindelwald Ranked #2 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338531721 http://www.hotel-gletschergarten.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Eiger, Grindelwald Ranked #4 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338543131 http://www.eiger-grindelwald.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Cabana, Grindelwald Ranked #5 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338545070 http://www.cabana-grindelwald.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Kreuz & Post, Grindelwald Ranked #6 in Grindelwald by TripAdvisor.
+41 338545492 http://www.kreuz-post.ch/
- $ Grindelwald Youth Hostel, Grindelwald (Hostel)
+41 338531009 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Downtown Lodge, Grindelwald (Hostel) Located in the town centre, 10 minutes walk from the station.
+41 338287730 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $ Mountain Hostel, Grund (Hostel) Situated next to Grund station, a huge car park and the Männlichen gondola.
+41 338543838 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$$ Jungfrau, Wengernalp (3*) Ranked #4 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 338551622 http://www.wengernalp.ch
- $ Hotel Mittaghorn, Gimmelwald Ranked #1 in Gimmelwald by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Oberland, Lauterbrunnen Ranked #1 in Lauterbrunnen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338551241 http://www.hoteloberland.ch
- $ Valley Hostel, Lauterbrunnen (Hostel)
+41 338552008 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $ Mountain Hostel, Gimmelwald (Hostel)
+41 338551704 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Eiger, Mürren (4*) Ranked #3 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338565454 http://www.hoteleiger.com/
- $$$ Hotel Bellevue, Mürren (3*)
+41 338551401 http://www.muerren.ch/bellevue/
- $$$ Hotel Blumental, Mürren Ranked #5 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338551826 http://www.muerren.ch/blumental/
- $$ Eiger Guesthouse, Mürren Ranked #1 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338565460 http://www.eigerguesthouse.com/
- $$ Hotel Jungfrau, Mürren Ranked #4 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338566464 http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch/
- $$ Hotel Alpina, Mürren Ranked #6 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
- $ Chalet Fontana, Mürren Ranked #2 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338565460 http://www.ferntree.ch/chalet/fontana_summer.htm
- $ Pension Sonnenberg, Mürren Ranked #7 in Murren by TripAdvisor.
+41 338551221 http://www.sonnenberg-muerren.ch/
- $ Chalet Stella, Wengen (Chalet) Dating from 1885, but fully modernised, this attractive chalet has flexible booking arrangements and is only 3 minutes from the lifts .
- $$$ Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, Kleine Scheidegg Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$$ Schonegg Hotel, Wengen Ranked #3 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338553422 http://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch/
- $$$$ Hotel Baeren, Wengen Ranked #4 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338551419 http://baeren-wengen.ch/home/
- $$$ Romantik Hotel Schönegg, Wengen (3*) Ranked #2 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 338553422 http://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch
- $$$ Alpenrose, Wengen Ranked #1 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338553422 http://www.alpenrose.ch/
- $$$ Beausite Park Hotel, Wengen Ranked #2 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338553422 http://www.parkwengen.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Falken, Wengen Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$ Sunstar Hotel, Wengen Ranked #8 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
+41 338553422 http://wengen.sunstar.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Caprice, Wengen Ranked #6 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Wengener Hof, Wengen Ranked #7 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.
- $$ Hotel Berghaus, Wengen Ranked #5 in Wengen by TripAdvisor.