ilvaplana, 5km south of St Moritz, lies below the Julier Pass and comprises two distinct sections separated by a bridge between Lake Silvaplana and Lake Champfèr. In Surlej, the easternmost part of the village, lies a cable car bottom station that services the runs off Corvatsch and links to the Furtschellas pistes, with a top station of 3300m. Frequent bus services connect the two parts of the village and neighbouring communities with the valley station. Located at 1815m the village has a good long season for skiing and snowboarding - although note that the link to Furtschellas and the run to St Moritz Bad have a shorter season than the main runs off Corvatsch - and also for its excellent winter walks and extensive cross-country tracks. On Friday nights the lower slopes off Corvatsch are floodlit and open until late. The village is in a breath-taking setting with an excellent sunshine record and a beautiful light. It is renowned not only for its proximity to Corvatsch but also for its professional avalanche camps and associated freeriding. The frozen lakes are also popular for snowkiting, and In the summer for kitesailing.Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
The run off the Corvatsch glacier from the top station down to Surlej is a lovely run, which, after a short surface lift ride to get height, allows you to complete an amazingly scenic run down to the Surlej bottom station.
Where to Eat and Party
Above the Corvatsch glacier Fuorcla Surlej (+41 81 842 6303) has one of the best views in the Alps and great fish soup. At the bottom of the cable car the wonderful Nira Alpina Hotel has some outstanding eateries including its own bakery, from where it is possible to order picnic lunches (+41 818 386969).
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Surlej, Corvatschbahn. Take bus #1 from St Moritz station bus stop, adjacent to front of train, to Surlej Corvatschbahn. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Basel the least travel time is 4 hrs 50 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Chur / St Moritz. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 233.80 SFr, reduced to 153.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 214.60 SFr, or 144.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to St Moritz Bad, Post. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 66.60 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 197 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 25 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 282 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 16 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 475 km and the journey time is roughly 5 hrs 11 mins.
The nearest major airport to Silvaplana is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated April 26 2017 07:45Weather -4 degrees
Lifts open 4/14
Day ticket CHF: 79.-/26.30
Depth of snow 68 cm 2 cm in resort
Last snowfall 09.03.2017
Pistes 41/120 km 32 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 1/3 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 0 km closed
Cross-country skating 0 km closed
Altitude of cross-country trails 2200 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/0
Snow park 0/4
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -
Piste Map for Silvaplana
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Romantik Hotel Chesa Salis, Bever Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$ Misani, Celerina (3*) Ranked #5 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818398989 http://www.hotelmisani.ch
- $$$ Hotel Chesa Rosatsch, Celerina Ranked #1 in Celerina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818370101 http://www.hotelrosatch.ch
- $$$ Hotel Zur Alten Brauerei, Celerina Family hotel.
+41 818321874 http://www.alte-brauerei.ch/
- $$$$ Hotel Chesa Surlej, Surlej Very near the Corvatschbahn cable car and adjacent to the nursery slopes.
+41 818387575 http://www.chesa-surlej.ch
- $$$ Krone, La Punt (3*) Ranked #3 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818541269 http://www.krone-la-punt.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Saratz, Pontresina Ranked #2 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Grand Hotel Kronenhof, Pontresina (5*) Ranked #7 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #1 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818303030 http://www.kronenhof.com
- $$$$ Walther, Pontresina (4*) Ranked #15 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels and #5 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
+41 818393636 http://www.hotelwalther.ch
- $$$$ Hotel Walther, Pontresina Ranked #5 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$$ Hotel Mueller, Pontresina Ranked #6 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Sporthotel, Pontresina (3*) Ranked #7 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818389400 http://www.sporthotel.ch
- $$$ Hotel Rosatsch, Pontresina Ranked #3 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Allegra, Pontresina Ranked #4 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Hotel Albris, Pontresina Ranked #7 in Pontresina by TripAdvisor.
- $ Pontresina Youth Hostel, Pontresina (Hostel) Right next door to the train station.
+41 818427223 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $$$ Musik- und Kulturhotel Palazzo Mÿsanus, Samedan Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$$ Hotel Waldhaus, Sils (5*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board, and ranked #1 in Sils-Maria by TripAdvisor.
+41 818385100 http://www.waldhaus-sils.ch
- $$$ Nira Alpina, Surlej Ski-in, ski-out luxury adjacent to the Corvatschbahn cable car and the nursery slopes.
+41 818386969 http://niraalpina.com
- $$$$$ Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains , St Moritz (5*) Ranked #13 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels, and ranked #2 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818383838 http://www.kempinski-stmoritz.com
- $$$$$ Badrutt's Palace, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #1 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #1 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818371000 http://www.badruttspalace.com
- $$$$$ Kulm, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #4 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and #3 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818368000 http://www.kulmhotel-stmoritz.ch
- $$$$$ The Carlton, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #5 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels.
+41 818367000 http://www.carlton-stmoritz.ch
- $$$$$ Suvretta House, St Moritz (5*) Ranked #9 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels.
+41 818363636 http://www.suvrettahouse.ch
- $$$$ Hotel La Margna, St Moritz (4*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
- $$$$ Crystal Hotel, St Moritz Ranked #5 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818366000 http://www.crystalhotel.ch/
- $$$ Waldhaus am See, St Moritz (3*) Ranked #1 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 3* Hotels.
+41 818366000 http://www.waldhaus-am-see.ch
- $$$ Hotel Hauser, St Moritz Ranked #4 in St Moritz by TripAdvisor.
- $$ Hotel Bären, St Moritz Convenient for Bobsleigh and Cresta runs.
+41 818366000 http://www.hotelbaeren.com/
- $ St Moritz Bad Youth Hostel, St Moritz (Hostel) On #9 bus route convenient for St Moritz station and Corviglia. .
+41 818366111 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Randolins Backpackers, St Moritz (Hostel)
+41 818308383 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$ Hotel Engiadina, Zuoz Ranked #2 in Zuoz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818515454 http://www.hotelengiadina.ch
- $$$ Castell, Zuoz (4*) Ranked #4 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 4* Hotels and ranked #1 in Zuoz by TripAdvisor.
+41 818515253 http://www.hotelcastell.ch
Silvaplana is located in Graubünden