n a plateau above the Rhine, Flims and neighbouring Laax are not only of outstanding geological interest, they are Swiss snowboarders favourite resorts. The outstanding parks around Crap Sogn Gion cater for all levels and there is loads of fabulous off-piste terrain and freeride runs. Some of the links between what is a surprisingly extensive ski area are a little flat, but work out OK if you keep your speed up! Skiers will also wonder why this resort isn't better known internationally, and, although it is popular with weekend boarders out of Zurich, you rarely have to worry about crowds here except for the village run to Flims at the end of the day.
Although the bus service between the villages is good, the last buses leave fairly early in the evening and Flims, Laax and Falera are large, sprawling villages some klicks away from each other. Murschetg where the Laax base stations are located is also a little way from Laax itself.Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
One of the longest runs in the Alps off the Vorab Glacier takes you all the way into Flims along some easy reds and pleasant blues, but the run is best avoided at the end of the day when the last section gets mighty crowded. With the same end section the run off La Siala is almost as long and is deemed by the lift comapny as an "insider tip". Well, not much of a secret now. There is a lovely long black off the Vorab too, down to Alp Ruschein
Where to Eat and Party
La Vacca, next to the Plaun lift station, does superb lunch-time barbecues (+41 819 279962). The Ustria Startgels restaurant next to the Graubergbahn is also good for lunch as is Das Elephant at Crap Masegn. The Crap Bar in Laax Murschetg - Crap being local dialect for peak - is a must visit location for après ski. In Flims itself the Legna Bar at the bottom station is a popular rendezvous. The Rider's Palace is not only a good place to crash, but also the party centre of Laax Murschetg.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Flims Dorf, Bergbahnen. The bus stop is adjacent to the gondola base station, or you can continue on bus to Laax Murschetg (also adjacent to gondola base station). It is also possible to access the lifts in Laax by bus from the station at Ilanz. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 1 hr 50 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 161.60 SFr, reduced to 115.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 48 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 204.80 SFr, reduced to 137.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 55 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Zurich / Chur. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 225.60 SFr, reduced to 147.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne an adult one day combined ticket is 257.60 SFr, or 163.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 174.40 SFr, or 122.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Laax, Bergbahnen. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 66.60 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 138 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 222 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 263 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 55 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 426 km and the journey time is roughly 4 hrs 40 mins.
- The road distance from Lugano is around 150 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
The nearest major airport to Flims Laax Falera is Zurich although other airports may also be convenient.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated October 17 2017 07:45Weather 9 degrees
Season 12.11.2016 - 17.04.2017
Day ticket CHF: 65.-/21.70
Depth of snow 0 cm 0 cm in resort
Last snowfall 01.05.2017
Condition of runs n/a
Cross-country classic n/a
Cross-country skating n/a
Altitude of cross-country trails n/a
Snowcross runs n/a
Snow park n/a
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -