This family-friendly resort has a surprisingly good range of slopes for all abilities and styles, albeit in modest quantities. Famous for being where Sherlock Holmes met his demise, it makes a good day out from Interlaken or Luzern or a pleasant destination for a short break. It is a good choice for beginners and intermediates and rarely gets queues at the lifts. A few years back there was detailed plan to connect Meiringen-Hasliberg to nearby Melchsee-Frutt with a tramway and provide lifts between Melchsee-Frutt and Engelberg via Jochpass to create "Snow Paradise Titlis Hasliberg" with 210km of piste, but the plan faced significant opposition on environmental grounds and was shelved.
You can take a bus from Meringen via Schwarzwaldalp to Grosse Scheidegg for a breathtaking five kilometre toboggan run from below the Eiger, with a 500 metre descent back down to the Chalet Schwarzwaldalp hotel and the return bus ( Postbus timetable). The area is also popular with snowshoe walkers.
Best of the Slopes
The 3.3km run from Planplatten, 2245m, to Bidmi at 1423m is the best in the resort. The longest is off Glogghüss.
Where to Eat and Party
The Aquarium in Käserstatt and the Kuhstall in Mägisalp have reasonable après ski, although Meiringen itself is quiet.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Meiringen. The station is 15 minutes from the cable car or you can take a courtesy bus. There are other options for alighting or leaving the winter sports facilities in the area using rail or bus. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 08 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Interlaken Ost or Luzern. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 108.00 SFr, reduced to 76.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 34 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Interlaken Ost or Luzern. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 124.00 SFr, reduced to 84.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 31 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Interlaken Ost or Luzern. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 103.20 SFr, reduced to 74.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 79.00 SFr, or 62.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Brünig-Hasliberg. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 40.80 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 100 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 15 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 145 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 85 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 10 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 255 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 50 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab