illars and the nearby village of Gryon combine to make a pleasant enough resort, albeit a bit of a sprawl, and being one of the closest Swiss resorts to Geneva Airport it makes the resort a package holiday favourite - for good reason too, as there is enough terrain to keep all levels of ability happy. Although it boasts a summit of 3000 metres, this refers to the glacier above Les Diablerets which, although available on the same ski pass, is not linked and the highest point is actually 2020 metres at Croix des Chaux. As well as snow-sure Glacier3000 the Alpes Vaudois ski pass also covers Les Diablerets and Leysin and use of the ski buses and local trains that connect the resorts.
Access to the resorts is by road, bus from Aigle or train from Bex. For skiing out of Gryon the Barboleuse gondola gives access to the ski area, with the Barboleuse railway stop about ten minutes walk away. In Villars the railway terminus is adjacent to another railway service which takes you up to the runs from Bretaye. Via Bretaye you can ski across to, and back from, the Meilleret section at Les Diablerets.
Best of the Slopes
There is some reasonable off-piste in Villars, mostly under or near the runs of the chairlifts. It is worth booking a guide to access the best of the off-piste.
Where to Eat and Party
Lac Des Chavonnes (+41 244 952131) at the bottom of the Petit Chamossaire chairlift is renowned for its cuisine. Le Mazot (+41 244921023), on the Les Diablerets side of the resort has lovely views to enjoy while you have your lunch break. In the evening the Cookie Bar & Restaurant on Rte de Solalex in Gryon (+41 24 498 22 33) and La Gourmandine in Villars (+41 244951743) are recommended. Both for lunch and dinner places can get busy and you may want to book if you want table service. Après ski starts at Charlie's bar.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Villars-sur-Ollon. Change to the BVB rack railway to take you to the heart of the pistes. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 58 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 200.80 SFr, reduced to 125.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 31 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 188.00 SFr, reduced to 119.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 28 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 142.40 SFr, reduced to 96.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne an adult one day combined ticket is 94.20 SFr, or 72.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 187.20 SFr, or 118.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Villars. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 42.40 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 239 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 212 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 25 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 118 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 25 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 129 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 34 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 59 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 93 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 11 mins.
The nearest major airport to Villars is Geneva although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some scheduled international flights to Sion, in the adjacent canton of Valais.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated December 18 2017 07:45Weather -9 degrees
Depth of snow 145 cm 60 cm in resort
Day ticket CHF: 54.-/36.-
Depth of snow 145 cm 60 cm in resort
Last snowfall today
Pistes 38/84 km 22 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 2/8 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 34 km closed
Cross-country skating 34 km closed
Altitude of cross-country trails 1776 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/1
Snow park 0/1
Tobogganing facilities 1/1 2.5km / 2.5km
Condition of runs closed
Winter walking paths open 34/39 km
Snowshoe trails open 30/37 km
Piste Map for Villars
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$ Hotel du Pillon - Relais du Silence, Les Diablerets (3*) Rated #1 in Les Diablerets and one of the 10 best hotels in Canton Vaud by TripAdvisor .
+41 244922209 http://www.hoteldupillon.ch/
- $$ Hotel Les Sources, Les Diablerets (3*) The hotel is family-friendly.
+41 244920100 http://www.hotel-les-sources.ch/
- $ Chalet Martin, Gryon (Hostel)
+41 797246374 http://www.swissbackpackers.ch
- $$$$$ Chalet RoyAlp Hôtel & Spa, Villars (5*) Rated #1 in Villars and one of the 10 best hotels in Canton Vaud by TripAdvisor .
+41 244959090 http://www.royalp.ch
Villars is located in Vaud