lthough Leysin is a bit of a sprawl, it has a reasonable amount going on and some good slopes, particularly for boarders and intermediates. It makes a good base for trying out the runs in neighbouring resorts and connects directly to the modest but reasonable Les Mosses terrain. There is a good rail link to Leysin from Aigle, which itself has rail connections to Villars, Les Diablerets (both covered by the Alpes Vaudois ski pass) and the 4 Vallées.
Leysin is one of the oldest of the Alpine resorts, with a history as a health resort as old as the 18th Century, although it did not become established as a significant centre until the 1890s with the narrow-gauge rack railway connection to Aigle. From then on winter sports became popular without being a significant source of tourism. However the village declined as a health centre and by the 1950s was firmly established as a major winter sports destination.
Where to Eat and Party
The Yeti Bar and le Lynx are lively spots in the village, and Club 94 carries on after everything else is closed. They do excellent fondue and raclette at La Fromagerie (+41 24 494 22 05).
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Leysin-Feyday. The station is 15 minutes from the chairlift (or take the courtesy bus). Courtesy bus also runs from Solepraz to Les Parchets for les Mosses. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 19 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 200.80 SFr, reduced to 125.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 48 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 188.00 SFr, reduced to 119.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 19 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Lausanne / Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 142.40 SFr, reduced to 96.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 3 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Aigle. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 94.20 SFr, or 72.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 187.20 SFr, or 118.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Villars. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 42.40 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 242 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 215 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 121 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 25 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 126 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 62 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 89 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 7 mins.
The nearest major airport to Leysin is Geneva although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some scheduled international flights to Sion, in the adjacent canton of Valais.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated December 16 2017 07:45Weather -8 degrees
Depth of snow 140 cm 40 cm in resort
Day ticket CHF: 49.-/33.-
Depth of snow 140 cm 40 cm in resort
Last snowfall today
Pistes 60/60 km 16 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs good 1/1 Runs down to resort (open/total)
Cross-country classic 0 km fair-good
Cross-country skating 0 km fair-good
Altitude of cross-country trails 1200 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/2
Snow park 1/2
Tobogganing facilities 0/14 0.0km / 2.6km
Condition of runs good
Winter walking paths open 2/2 km
Snowshoe trails open 33/44 km