sprawling, busy resort that covers the villages of Crans, Montana, Aminona and Les Barzettes, it is now the winter home of former Bond actor, Roger Moore. And one can see why. There are few queues, good mountain restaurants and lovely cruisy runs set against beautiful views South across the Rhône Valley. Needs good snow conditions though, so probably best for January through to February half-term when higher, north-facing resorts can be grim. By road it's pretty easy to get to, although the road can get congested, but by public transport you need to transfer from Sierre's main station to a very scenic funicular railway then take a bus and make a short walk. if you take the bus get the driver to tell you when you are at the Crans or Montana valley stations - they are not obvious (at least not to me).Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
There is a 12k descent from Plaine Morte to Barzettes.
Where to Eat and Party
There are some fabulous mountain restaurants, particularly for a sunny lunchtime repast, such as Merbeé, Cabane de la Tieche and Cabane des Violettes. My personal choice would be Chetzeron (+41 274 850808), near the bottom of the Chetzeron t-bar. In the evening try the George & Dragon in Crans.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Montana Gare / CMA. Sierre station is 5 minutes to mountain railway (follow a direction marker on the pavement), then take courtesy bus or walk 10 minutes to CMA base station. Although the bus passes both Crans and Montana base stations, it isn't obvious so ask the driver to advise you if you are not sure. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 21 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 230.80 SFr, reduced to 142.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 7 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 218.00 SFr, reduced to 136.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 50 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp / Sierre. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 173.20 SFr, reduced to 113.80 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 37 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Sierre. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 134.80 SFr, or 94.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 218.00 SFr, or 136.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Montana Gare. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 54.40 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 300 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 273 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs.
- The road distance from Berne is around 179 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 55 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 184 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 119 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
The nearest major airport to Crans-Montana is Geneva although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some scheduled international flights to Sion, the major city in Valais.
Nearby resorts include Anzère.
Latest Resort Report
Report dated October 17 2017 07:45Weather 10 degrees
Season 12.11.2016 - 23.04.2017
Day ticket CHF: 68.-/38.-
Depth of snow 130 cm 0 cm in resort
Last snowfall 22.03.2017
Pistes 0/140 km 0 km with artificial snowmaking
Condition of runs no info
Cross-country classic 0 km no info
Cross-country skating 0 km no info
Altitude of cross-country trails 3000 m (altitude)
Snowcross runs 0/2
Snow park 0/3
Tobogganing facilities -
Condition of runs -
Winter walking paths open -
Snowshoe trails open -
Piste Map for Crans-Montana
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$$ Hotel Guarda Golf, Crans Ranked #3 in Crans-Montana by TripAdvisor.
+41 274862000 http://www.hotelguardagolf.com
- $$$$$ Le Crans Hotel & Spa, Crans-Montana (5*) Ranked #11 by Tages-Anzeiger amongst Swiss 5* Hotels and ranked #1 in Crans-Montana by TripAdvisor.
+41 274866060 http://www.lecrans.com
- $$$$ Hotel Bella Lui, Crans-Montana (3*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board.
+41 274813114 http://www.bellalui.com/
- $$$ Helvetia Intergolf - Hotel & Apparthotel, Crans-Montana Ranked #2 in Crans-Montana by TripAdvisor.
+41 274858888 http://www.helvetia-intergolf.ch/
Crans-Montana is located in Valais