aanen is the municipal capital of the Obersimmental-Saanen district, the area that includes Gstaad and most of the slopes of Sector 1 of Gstaad Mountain Rides. It is twinned with Cannes in France. From Rüebeldorf on the edge of the town, there is a fast chairlift that gets you into a large sprawling area of mainly pleasant blues and easy red and black runs - although the blue-designated valley run off La Videmanette may be daunting for aspiring intermediates. The views from Eggli at the top are spectacular. As well as valley runs down to Saanen, there are also valley runs into Gstaad and the La Videmanette run into French-speaking Rougemont.Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
The beautiful long series of blue runs off Vorderes Eggli to Saanen (Rüebeldorf) are amongst the best intermediate runs throughout the Gstaad region.
Where to Eat and Party
If you fancy dining in a French restaurant, head across to La Videmanette. The bar at Schopfen is nicely chilled on a sunny day, and is next to a tiny funpark.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Saanen. Note that the lift pass is good for all lifts in Gstaad Mountain Rides and on all local buses and the railway as far as Rossinière. Stations at Zweisimmen, Saanenmöser, Schönried, Rougement and Château-d'Oex are all a few minutes walk from valley stations. The bottom stations in Gstaad itself are a longer walk or you can take a courtesy bus. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 2 hrs 59 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Bern / Zweisimmen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 172.80 SFr, reduced to 111.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 1 min with as few as 2 changes going via Bern / Zweisimmen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 158.40 SFr, reduced to 104.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 1 hr 57 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Zweisimmen. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 107.20 SFr, reduced to 78.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne an adult one day combined ticket is 92.80 SFr, or 71.20 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 158.40 SFr, or 104.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Zweisimmen. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 49.60 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 203 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 29 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 176 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 11 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 83 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 15 mins.
No local weather available - Zermatt used.
Latest Resort Report
Visit Resort Website for a Snow Report (see sidebar).