hampoussin is a good base to explore the Portes du Soleil, with a reasonable amount going on off the slopes, a pretty setting beneath Les Dents du Midi and high enough for the slopes to the village to be open throughout the season. It is probably the best of the resorts in the area for beginners, but it does take a number of lifts to get back to the Les Crosets, Châtel or Avoriaz sections so allow good time to get back if you are not based in Champoussin or Morgins.
Find accommodation at Bookings.com
Best of the Slopes
Le Pas de Chavanette - aka "Le Mur Suisse" (The Swiss Wall) is tough, often with huge moguls and 55 degree inclines. Stick to the sides if you want to avoid the steepest parts, but the beginning of the run is unavoidably scary. In less than a kilometre you drop over 400m. There is also a 7k run down to Grand-Paradis.
Where to Eat and Party
A great pit stop on the slopes is Chez Gaby.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 247 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 45 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 220 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 27 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 126 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 31 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 131 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 38 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 66 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 0 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 95 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 15 mins.
Get road directions at Google Maps
The nearest major airport to Champoussin is Geneva although other airports may also be convenient.
There are some scheduled international flights to Sion, the cantonal capital of Valais.
Other resorts in the ski area include Champéry, Les Crosets, Morgins,Torgon and Val-d'Illiez.
Latest Resort Report
Visit Resort Website for a Snow Report (see sidebar).
Piste Map for Champoussin
Larger piste map for Champoussin
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Art.Boutique.Hotel Beau-Sejour, Champéry Ranked #1 in Champery by TripAdvisor.
+41 244795858 http://www.beausejour.ch/gb-hotel-beausejour-champery-valais.htm
- $ Backpacker Le Petit Baroudeur, Champéry (Hostel) Excellent small hostel right next to a supermarket, a bar, the station and the lifts.
+41 244791407 http://www.lebaroudeur.ch/en
- $$$ Alpdze Lou Kra, Champoussin (3*) Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office.
- $$ Chez Gaby, Champoussin Mountain restaurant with ski-in, ski-out accommodation, recommended by local Tourist Office.
+41 244772222 http://www.chezgaby.ch/
- $$$ Mountain Lodge, Les Crosets Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office.
+41 244792580 http://www.mountain-lodge.co.uk/
- $$$ Le Relais Panoramique, Les Crosets Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office.
+41 244793412 http://www.relais-crosets.com/en
- $$ L'hotel Etable, Les Crosets Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office.
+41 245656555 http://hotel-etable.ch/en/
- $$$ Helvetia Hotel Residence, Morgins Ranked #1 in Morgins by TripAdvisor.
- $$$ Thermes Parc, Val-d'Illiez Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office. One of the best spas in Switzerland is connected to the hotel.
+41 244768040 https://tbooking.toubiz.de/TDS00020010361435035/tbooking/?globalReset=1&lang=en
- $$ Le Communal, Val-d'Illiez (3*) Well-regarded, and recommended by local Tourist Office.
+41 244772931 http://www.valdilliez.ch/en/no/lodgings/hotels/hotel-restaurant-le-communal-1.html#en