nly 10km from Interlaken, high above Lake Thun, Beatenberg has fabulous views across the Jungfrau. There are two pisted areas together with a toboggan run, cross-country skiing, winter walking trails and a natural ice rink. The more extensive pistes are serviced by a gondola and a surface lift at Niederhorn, whilst there is a smaller area with one surface lift nearby at Hohwald.
There is a lovely 10km winter walk suitable for all levels of walker on the Niederhorn with fabulous views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau across Lake Thun. From Beatenberg take the funicular and then the cable railway up the summit of the Niederhorn. The walk from there is marked and ends at Waldegg, from where you can take a bus back to Interlaken or Beatenberg. It is fun to go down some of the steeper sections on a toboggan (which can be hired at the cable railway mountain station). Allow around 3 hours for the walk.
Best of the Slopes
From the top of the Niederhorn the scenic red run down to Beatenberg has a vertical drop of over 1800m.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Beatenberg. There is a bus from Thun to base station of the funicular up to resort.
- From Basel the least travel time is 2 hrs 15 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Thun / Beatenbucht.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 131 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 161 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 54 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 58 mins and the journey time is roughly 58 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 227 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 34 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Visit resort web site for details - see sidebar.