eschi bei Spiez and the associated hamlet of Aeschiried lies on a ridge between the Kander valley and Lake Thun. The area has been a significant rural centre since the 13th century and still feels delightfully rustic. Tourism became a dominant local industry with the arrival of the railways in nearby Spiez and with the village's proximity to the A6 motorway. Although the downhill slopes are limited and there are only two surface lifts (and two training lifts), the views across Lake Thun and the Alps, and the 16 minute bus trip from Spiez station make it a pleasant outing - especially for learners and early intermediates. As you would imagine the lift passes are inexpensive compared with the major resorts in the Bernese Oberland and the journey time is substantially less if you are coming from Berne or Basel. As well as the good cross-country circuits, 2km of which are illuminated Monday to Friday evening, there are scenic winter walking trails and a marked snowshoe trail from Aeschiried to Brunni. The drop off point for the local bus and for free parking is Aeschiried Schulhaus, although the hire shop is in Aeschi Dorf (recommend you phone in advance for hire bookings). Aeschi also has a ski school which relocates to Elsigenalp if the snow cover is not good in Aeschi.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Aeschiried, Schulhaus. Bus stop close to surface lifts.
- From Basel the least travel time is 1 hr 52 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Spiez.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 136 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 50 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 139 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 46 km and the journey time is roughly 38 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 206 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 13 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Visit resort web site for details - see sidebar.